Over time, developments in the science of genetics have been explosive and of far reaching significance. Major gains for productivity increase and incorporation of many agronomic traits of crop varieties have, however, primarily accrued from conventional breeding effort. While in the pre-Mendelian era plant breeding was purely an art with its success depending solely on intuition and doggedness of the breeder, the present generation of plant breeders successfully utilise genetic principles on which plant breeding methods are based.
The book “Plant Breeding” provides theoretical concepts and practical procedures for appreciation and practice of plant breeding. It is, in particular, directed to the use of students and practicing plant breeders in countries of the Southern hemisphere because it provides examples relevant to their own agriculture.
The topics covered include: genetic principles; plant breeding concepts and methods for self- and cross-pollinated crops; crops propagated by vegetative means; vegetable crops, forage crops, fruit and forest trees; breeding for disease resistance; breeding for quality traits; mutation breeding; examples of some innovative approaches to crop improvement and plant genetic resources. Each topic has been written by acclaimed scientists specialising in the particular area and the treatment, therefore, bears a mark of authenticity.
V.L. Chopra: Formerly, National Research Centre on Plant Biotechnology, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
1. Genetic Basis of Plant Breeding by V. Arunachalam
2. Concepts and Methods: Self-pollinated Crops by D. Sharma
3. Concepts and Methods: Cross-pollinated Crops by B.K. Mukherjee
4. Breeding a Cross-Pollinated Crop: Pearl Millet by O.P. Govila
5. Vegetatively Propagated Crops by N.M. Nayar
6. Breeding for Disease Resistance by R.N. Kulkarni and V.L. Chopra
7. Breeding for Protein Quantity and Quality by H.C. Bansal and S.L. Mehta
8. Fruit Trees by P.K. Majumder
9. Forest Trees by S. Kedharnath
10. Forage Breeding by Kripa Shanker Bhargava
11. Vegetable Crops by V.S. Seshadri
12. Mutation Breeding by R.P. Sharma and V.L. Chopra
13. Crop Genetic Resources by R.B. Singh
14. Innovative Approaches for Crop Improvement by V.L. Chopra and R.P. Sharma