Biogas is a renewable energy resource that can be an alternative solution for the world's insatiable energy demands while helping in managing waste and reducing the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. It is also regarded as carbon neutral as the carbon in biogas comes from organic matter (feedstock) that captured this carbon from atmospheric CO2 over a relatively short timescale.
This book has been written and compiled to collate latest information on biogas technology to help readers, researchers and extension workers alike to understand the fruitful exploitation of the process. It has fourteen chapters, primarily in three major categories:
01. the first category dealing with the basic biomethanation process including its ecology, microbiology, biochemistry and molecular biology.
02. the second category dealing with the evolution of the technology in Indian/global scenario from the lab to the land
03. the last category is dealing with the economics of the technology.
All the various known and active names in this field of research and development have put their hearts and minds into their contributed chapters. The additional details provided in the Annexures (viz., Model bankable scheme for biogas commercialisation venture; Frequently asked questions in adopting biogas technology; Common terminologies in biogas research; Glossary of abbreviations and symbols frequently used in biogas research; and Prominent global entities in biogas R&D and commercialisation) double the usefulness of the compilation.
Snehasish Mishra, Associate Professor, PhD (Life Sciences), of the School of Biotechnology, KIIT Deemed University has research exposure in the areas of microbiology, biotechnology, limnology, environmental biotechnology, renewable energy, bioprocess engineering and food sciences.
Tapan K Adhya, Professor, School of Biotechnology, Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) deemed University, Bhubaneswar - 751024, also is the Director, South Asia Nitrogen Centre, New Delhi.
Sanjay completed his PhD in Biotechnology from KIIT University, Bhubaneswar before doing his postdoctoral research at the Department of Biophysics, AIIMS, New Delhi. Currently, he is a Research Scientist in Pandorum Technologies Pvt Ltd., collaborating with LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
1. Methanogenesis-Microbiology and ecology (NayakBaliyarsinghSamantaray Mishra)
2. Biochemistry and molecular biology of methanogens-An insight (Mishra OjhaAdhya)
3. Methane driven biogeochemical processes in terrestrial ecosystem (BharatiAhirwarMohanty)
4. Bioenergetics & evolutionary relationship in biomethanationwrtMcr (Srichandan Singh Mishra)
5. Application of methanation as an alternate energy technology (Rana Nanda)
6. Generation of biogas from food wastes and its emerging purification technology (Das)
7. Biomethanation of rice straw-feasibility assessment (MaheshwariKshirsagarDhakephalkar)
8. Biogas from dairy effluents (Satpathy Das)
9. Valorization of pineapple wastes for biomethane generation (Sarangi Nanda)
10. Process optimisation for enhanced biomethanation of kitchen refuse (Malesu Singh)
11. Electrofermentation in aid of bioenergy and its industrial application (Kumar Chandrasekhar Kumari Kim)
12. Industrial applications of anaerobic digestion (Mohanty Das)
13. Biomethanation under biphasic conditions-success story of Nisargruna biogas plant (Mehetre Kale)
14. Improved biogas plants and related technologies (Sooch)
15. Economics of Biogas Technology (Paikaray Mishra Pattnaik)